Monday, October 26, 2015

What Happens Between What I Am Doing And What I Do Next?

What Happens Between What I Am Doing And What I Do Next?


I begin my active day by reading my emails and checking in with social media - along with many other people. And I have a list, mental notes or actual notations about what I hope to do today. On paper they are innocent enough: 10 minutes of folding laundry, a 45 minute trip to the store, two 2 hour blocks of teaching, dinner at 6pm with preparations starting at 4:30pm or 5.  Nothing startling of over whelming. Added up there are no more than eight hours of "things" to do.  What happens that causes the minutes in my day run away like sands in an hourglass, never to be halted or retrieved?



Sentence number one is what happens.  I read my emails and become distracted not by the content from my friends and family but by the invitations to listen to a free seminar, an article by someone I admire, the song that a certain website is sure I would love.

I would be safe if that is all I did. But what I do NEXT is what draws me down a dark hole of time suck.  I not only read and listen to these offers but I follow links in THOSE to other articles or songs, or videos of a similar nature and BANG an hour or more has passed.


New day- new intention, new way to manage my time. Does this activity I am doing now support my vision, my mission, my values, my intention?  Is this really PLAY TIME or time dithering dithering dithering useful action and procrastination or distraction? If I count this as recreation that is good, if I count this as nothing- not so good. Look at the list, make adjustments and avoid the overwhelm.

This has been such a part of my journey I wrote a little book: "From Burnout To Balance: Three Steps to A Life Of Equanimity".  You can tell I write from experience. Contact me if you want a coupon for $1 off of the full price.



Kyczy Hawk RYT E-500
Author “Yoga and the Twelve Step Path” and “Life in Bite-Sized Morsels” and “From Burnout to Balance” among others. She is the founder of S.O.A.R.(™) Success Over Addiction and Relapse
Kyczy has been teaching recovery focused yoga classes since 2008.  Building on the foundation of the traditional yoga training she received from the Lotus Yoga Teacher Association (of the Himalayan Yoga Institute), she has combined the wisdom and inspiration from other teachers along the way.  
Publishing “Yoga and the Twelve Step Path” was the happy conclusion to years of study and research into the inter-relationship between the philosophy of yoga and the principles of 12 Step recovery.  
A leader of Y12SR (Yoga of 12 Step Recovery) classes for nearly five years and a devoted teacher to people in treatment centers and in jail- Kyczy created a teacher training program for others who wish to work in this field.  Trauma sensitivity and the somatics of moving home into your body are some of the basics taught in S.O.A.R.(™) Success Over Addiction and Relapse
With deep bows she thanks her teachers; Sarla Walters, Durga Leela, Annalisa Cunningham and Nikki Myers.
More about her work can be found at www.yogarecovery.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment